McDougall Rim: Exterior Perimeter
The McDougall Rim begins with an intense uphill hike along a rocky path, but eventually tapers off onto flatter land winding through the forest to reach spectacular views of West Kelowna and the lake.
Unlike some, this trail is not clearly labelled and is marked by usage rather than signs, there are several trails you could end up on, so be sure you know which path you are planning to take beforehand. Be prepared to cross bridges, creeks and a variety of terrain. The trails were subject to wildfires in 2009 and thus the trail is still recovering in some sections. We highly recommend bringing our GPS trail maps.
During spring, a tiny waterfall opens up at about 4 km into the trail, snow can still be found in the area at this time so if you wish to trek up to it, bring footwear with good grip.
McDougall Rim is home to several types of wildflower in the summertime such as the Indian Paintbrush and Prairie Roses, it is also habituated by an assortment of wildlife including bears, deer, coyote and other larger animals which have been spotted in the area.
The descent of this trail follows the top of Bartley Rd, which is more of a 4x4ing trail, back to the starting point.
Do not attempt this hike prior to mid-April as you are likely to get snowed in due to the elevation!
- Full Day
- 20.60 km round-trip
- 5 hr solo
- 6 hr 50 min group
- 1,127 m gain
Kids & Pets
2130-2210 Bartley Rd, West Kelowna, BC V1Z 2M7
From Downtown Kelowna, approximate travel time by car is 18 min.
Notable GPS Co-ordinates
1. Turn right onto Bartley Rd from Highway 97
2. Turn Left onto Shannon Lake Road
3. Turn Right back onto Bartley Road shortly thereafter.
4. Stay on Bartley Rd and follow it as it turns into a gravel road through private properties.
5. Park in the small clearing by the McDougall Creek sign just before the cattle guard.
Use our written directions in preference to the Google directions below as they are likely more accurate.
- Starting Elevation: 637 meters
- Ending Elevation: 637 meters
- Maximum Elevation: 1424 meters
- Minimum Elevation: 619 meters
- Elevation Gain: 1127 meters
- Elevation Loss: -1127 meters
- Slope Up: 10.00%
- Slope Down: -8.00%
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Thursday, March 23, 2023
Need help using it? See our FAQ.
View Full Screen