Monashees: Mt. Fosthall via Spectrum Lake
BC-Okanagan (North) / Cherryville
55 min driving from Frank's General Store in Cherryville, BC
Begin the trail meandering through the foothills of Mt. Fosthall at Spectrum Lake which offers a vast diversity of coast-like flora. Rich green moss coats the valley floor, and numerous creek crossings. Spectrum Lake is rich with rainbow trout and offers a fantastic day hike for families with children.
For the more adventurous, head up the gruelling ascent to Little and Big Peters lake, indulging in the huckleberries, blueberries, and thimbleberries along the way. This is where the well maintained trail ends. Set up camp at the stunning Big Peters glacier-fed lake, complete with bear cache, ranger's tent, fresh stream water, and lakeside backcountry camping. This can be done in one day, but we do not recommend doing the summit of Mt. Fosthall on the same day.
Reaching the summit of Mt. Fosthall from Big Peters will take between 3 and 3.5 hours and is a way-finding route only. There are some cairns along the way, but advanced trail sense is required to navigate. Follow the stream and valley up to a well maintained bike path as part of another resort on the far/south side of the mountain. After following this trail for a few minutes, keep an eye on the ground for a large stone arrow and head off-trail to the right. Meander through the alpine meadows and take a self-guided route to the summit of the giant ramp-like Mt. Fosthall adorning the skyline.
Even in the hottest months, there are plenty of refill options available for water. The best time to hike Mt. Fosthall to avoid snow and horrible weather is the month of August up until mid-September.
For fit adults with a large overnight backpack hiking times are as follows. Please let us know your times!
* Parking lot to Spectrum is 1.5 hours (5 km from trailhead)
* Spectrum to Big Peters is 4 hours (14 km from trailhead)
* Big Peters to Mt. Fosthall is 3.5 hours (20 km from trailhead)
Kids & Pets
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Wed, Feb 21, 2018Need help using it? See our FAQ. Don't have an account? Create One.
From Frank's General Store in Cherryville, BC, approximate travel time by car is 55 minute(s).
If you're a speed demon, you can easily make the trip from Frank's General Store to the trailhead in 45 minutes. The road is suitable for cars without 4x4 and is in great shape. Roughly 2.25-2.5 hours from Kelowna.
1) Drive to Vernon, BC from downtown Kelowna.
2) Take RIGHT on Highway 6 and then bear right to stay on Highway 6.
3) Around the 50 km marker since the turn in Vernon, turn LEFT at Frank's General Store in Cherryville onto "Sugar Lake Rd"
4) RESET ODOMETER
5) At 13.6 km, the road becomes gravel.
6) At 16.6 km, cross the bridge over Sugar Lake. The road now becomes "Shuswap FSR"
7) At 38.2 km TURN RIGHT with signs for Monashee Provincial Park via "Spectrum Creek FSR"
8) At 39.4 km, keep right to stay on main rd (following signs)
9) At 42.3 km, keep right. Alternatively, a short 1 km drive + 10 min hike to Rainbow Falls is on your left.
10) At 43.5 km, keep left to stay on main rd (following signs)
11) At 44 km, keep left to stay on main rd (following signs)
12) At 45.6 km, keep left to stay on main rd (following signs)
13) At 51.7 km, arrive at the parking lot with map and signage for Monashees Provincial Park.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!