Mount Nkwala: Summit Loop
BC-Okanagan (South) / West Bench
13 min driving from Downtown Penticton
** Important: This park resides on Penticton Indian Band land. However, hikers are allowed to enjoy this mountain regardless of their race. Paper permits are mandatory and can be obtained from the Penticton Indian Band admin office free of charge at 841 Westhills Dr, RR#2, S80, C#19, Penticton, BC. **
Mt. Nkwala is a mountain that keeps hikers happy for years! Its vast array of mountain bike trails coupled with countless viewpoints is a trail network dream come true. Previously known as "Gerry's Mountain" from the Dennis McDonald who named it after his wife Geraldine in 1949, this mountain was as a forest fire lookout until 1969! Becoming disorientated is incredibly easy on this mountain. We highly recommend bringing a GPS with our maps to ensure the summit is reached with ease.
The trail offers numerous viewpoints of Penticton, Okanagan Lake and Skaha Lake. Bears are very prominent on this trail in the fall, and hikers are advised to bring bear spray as a precaution. Remember to make plenty of noise while hiking. This trail is noted with signs for non-motorized vehicle use only by the Penticton Indian Band. No maps or trail signs en-route. Pay attention to signs of trail usage instead.
Kids & Pets
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Wed, Feb 21, 2018Need help using it? See our FAQ. Don't have an account? Create One.
From Downtown Penticton, approximate travel time by car is 13 minute(s).
3808 Forsyth Dr, Penticton, BC V2A 8Z2
1. Heading North on Highway 97 from downtown Penticton towards Kelowna, turn LEFT onto W Bench Hill Rd only just outside of town.
2. Turn RIGHT onto Bartlett Dr (left is Russet Dr)
3. Turn RIGHT onto W Bench Dr.
4. Immediately turn LEFT onto Bartlett Dr (yes, again).
5. After 1.4 km, turn RIGHT onto Forsyth Dr.
6. After 2.2 km, park at trailhead being mindful of access to driveways and any no parking signs. Obtain permission from the band before entering the park!
There are no comments.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!