Keremeos Columns Provincial Park
BC-Okanagan (South) / Keremeos
8 min driving from Downtown Keremeos
This short day hike through sagebrush country leads you to formations created from volcanic activity that occurred around 30 million years ago.
The Keremeos Columns are made of basalt, the result of cooled lava and stand at a spectacular 30m high. They share the same geological phenomenon status as Northern Ireland's "Giant Causeway" and Wyoming's "Devil's Tower."
The trail does involve some elevation and ends in a steep incline, sturdy shoes are recommended. Although there is a Keremeos Park, the actual columns lie out of its boundaries on private property. Permission must be obtained from the last house at the end of the pavement in the housing area or by calling the Clifton's on: 1-250-499-5638
A roundtrip to visit the Keremeos Columns takes between three to four hours for active adults and can be extremely hot during the summer, make sure to bring plenty of water and watch out for rattlesnakes among other wildlife such as deer.
1. After 0.35 km of hiking, there will be a fork to your right. Ignore it and continue straight.
2. At 0.8 km, the road will hairpin turn to the right. Follow it.
3. At 1.61 km there is a pull out, a tower of some sort, and a gorgeous view.
4. Roughly 1 km later there are forks to the right which can take you to an additional viewpoint up to a different cell tower. Ignore them. Keep right to continue straight.
5. Just before another kilometer up the trail is the MOST important fork. The trail splits left or right. KEEP LEFT!
6. Continue through the gate up the hill and close it behind you.
7. A lush forest full of birch will appear to your right. Keep walking up the road until you reach the columns. Do not take any forks.
For more information:
Kids & Pets
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Wed, Feb 21, 2018Need help using it? See our FAQ. Don't have an account? Create One.
Warning: include(includes/trailgooglemap.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hikingaddiction/public_html/trails/viewtrail.php on line 533
Warning: include(): Failed opening 'includes/trailgooglemap.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/hikingaddiction/public_html/trails/viewtrail.php on line 533
From Downtown Keremeos, approximate travel time by car is 8 minute(s).
2795 Liddicoat Rd, Keremeos, BC V0X 1N4
1. Drive to center of town in Keremeos, BC
2. Head North on Highway 3A
3. Tun RIGHT on Liddicoat Rd (at Tree to Me).
4. After 1.1 km, turn LEFT to stay on Liddicoat Rd (instead of continuing straight on Pincushion Trail) and park immediately at the unmarked parking area on the left.
5. Begin your hike up the road!
For more details:
There are no comments.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!