Spion Kopje: Ridgeline/Tower/Paintbrush Loop
BC-Okanagan (Central) / Lake Country
38 min driving from Downtown Kelowna
This series of trails to the peak of the Spion Kopje mountain is one of the easier paths to the top of the mountain, but still requires a very good degree of personal fitness and agility. If you are up for the challenge, follow a pathway through ponderosa pine and bunch grass to spectacular views of the Okanagan valley.
The battle of Spion Kopje took place in South Africa on the hilltop of Spioenkop in 1900, along the Tugela River during the second Boer War. It is suggested that a veteran of the war, pioneer Henry Northcote Caeser‚Äôs brother Leslie, named the mountain after this.
During the summer of 2012, the Walk Around Lake Country group finished a three-year goal to create well-marked trails forming clearer paths for hikers. This included a cairn marker at "The Grand Overlook." Views from this point include a stretch of the Okanagan Valley, Lake Okanagan, Wood Lake and Duck Lake and surrounding mountains.
Following the markers will connect you to the summit of Spion Kopje or to another peak view of the North allowing for sights of Lake Kalamalka and parts of Oyama.
For a published map of the trails, visit the Lake Country Visitor Centre. Motorized vehicles are requested to stay off marked hiking trails.
Kids & Pets
We have a downloadable GPS map for this trail!
Last Updated on Wed, Feb 21, 2018Need help using it? See our FAQ. Don't have an account? Create One.
Warning: include(includes/trailgooglemap.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hikingaddiction/public_html/trails/viewtrail.php on line 533
Warning: include(): Failed opening 'includes/trailgooglemap.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/hikingaddiction/public_html/trails/viewtrail.php on line 533
From Downtown Kelowna, approximate travel time by car is 38 minute(s).
13864 Northstar Lane, Lake Country, BC
1) Follow Highway 97 north from downtown Kelowna towards Vernon
2) Turn LEFT on Oceola right past Winfield and at the bottom of Wood Lake.
3) Turn RIGHT onto Carrs Landing Road.
4) After 1.8 km, slight RIGHT to continue onto Moberly Rd (just before the 6 km marker for 50th Parallel Estate Winery)
5) After 0.7 km, turn LEFT onto Forest Hill Dr
6) After 0.6 km, turn RIGHT on Townsend Dr
7) After 0.6 km, turn LEFT (almost 180) on Northstar Lane at the corner near the house at 13518 Townsend Dr.
8) Follow to the end (0.6 km) and park near 13864 Northstar Lane amidst new housing construction as of 2016. Very limited parking is available. Please park effectively.
There are no comments.
Leave a comment
You must Login to post a comment!